Re: [htdig] htmerge transient files?

Subject: Re: [htdig] htmerge transient files?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 21:05:37 PST

At 9:43 AM +0000 1/10/00, Malcolm Austen wrote:
> - on exit from htmerge there appears to be about 1.5Gb free on the device
> - certainly a moment later htfuzzy found space to write >50Mb to it
> - I'm not using the same device for temp files - I already had htmerge
> fail because sort could not manage with the 700Mb available in
> /tmp and so have set:
>
> setenv TMPDIR /var/spider
> # where there is 5Gb available
>
>Has anyone any thoughts as to what might have transiently soaked up the
>space? Could sort have left some space allocated?

When you say "on exit," this means that the sort program will have
cleaned up all of its temporary files. Out of curiosity, what does
your sort manpage say about "sort -T" (if this is on a BSD-like
system, it will probably not specify the temp directory).

But beyond that, it doesn't matter much how much is free when it
exits--it cleans up lots of temporary files before exiting. So you
need to keep an eye out as it's indexing. I wrote some simple scripts
for our server that flags sudden drops in disk usage or a full drive.
It's usually for users uploading MP3s, but it works well in this
situation too.

What was the result when you had more disk space free?