Re: [htdig] multiple SGML tags for noindex_start noindex_end

Subject: Re: [htdig] multiple SGML tags for noindex_start noindex_end
From: Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 08:20:30 PST

Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> Configuring a single SGML tag for noindex_start and noindex_end works.
> But I have not been able to find a way to get multiple tags to work.
> I would like to configure HtDig so that it ignores content inside
> both <SCRIPT> and the default <!--htdig_noindex--> SGML tags.

Currently, there is no way to achieve this. However, you should
have all of the stuff inside your <SCRIPT></SCRIPT> tags commented
out with SGML comment tags as well. This is a standard technique
to hide <SCRIPT>s from browsers which cannot interprete the client
side scripting language used. It will also turn off indexing for
every other spider, not only Ht://Dig... Perhaps the example for
noindex_start/noindex_end given by the Ht://Dig manual isn´t the
best choice ;-)

Another thing to try for you might be to use external scripts (i.e.
make use of the SRC attribute of the <SCRIPT> tag, which is ignored
by any indexer I know of). This will also allow your documents to
share common scripts (and thus speed up your site a little).

hth,

  Torsten