Re: [htdig] Foreign dictionaries

Subject: Re: [htdig] Foreign dictionaries
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 14:41:55 PST

At 3:54 PM +0000 12/29/99, bs@hi.is wrote:
>Should I be using an Icelandic dictionary file ?

It wouldn't hurt.

>What do the dictionary files have to do with htdig/htmerge process ?

With those two? Nothing. With htsearch/htfuzzy? The dictionary is
used to build up a database of word ending rules for the "endings"
fuzzy algorithm. The database is made by running "htfuzzy endings"
and is then used by htsearch if the search_algorithms attribute is
set appropriately.

>Has anyone ever switched dictionary files ?

I know a number of people have for non-English sites. Obviously using
English suffix rules doesn't work well for French! (I'd assume this
is very true for Icelandic as well. ;-)