Subject: [htdig] A Look Forward
From: Geoff Hutchison (email@example.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 10:19:59 PST
As I said, it last year was just a start. The following may seem a
bit mundane, but the exciting stuff is a bit hard to predict. :-)
Goals for 2000:
* New architecture: Yes, the fabled 3.2.0b1 is about to materialize! This
will bring a new database architecture and a lot of redesigned code that
should hopefully make it easier to extend and modify ht://Dig or parts
thereof. Oh yeah, it offers phrase searching too!
* Database tools: A frequent request is to have tools to modify the
database directly--to delete records, to get statistics without running
htdig or htmerge, to add specific URLs without updating the rest of the
database, etc. These will materialize along with other changes to how you
use the htdig programs.
* Internationalization: Yes, I think we'll finally see Unicode support.
With it should come support for all those multi-byte languages as well as
better support for localizing all parts of ht://Dig.
* Bugs: I stick by the same goal as last year--take them one-by-one as
they come and clean them up. Where possible we should try to have patches
announced and made obvious. <http://www.htdig.org/files/current-patches/>
* Better results: Getting good results out of any search engine is still
too much of an art. During the next year, however, let's make users (both
administrators and end-users) have an easier time getting the results they
* Performance: Hopefully feedback from everyone will help us tailor
performance so that both searching and indexing speed improve significantly.
There will probably be some surprises (there usually are), but I
think 2000 will bring a much more robust, mature base for ht://Dig.
Williams Students Online
To unsubscribe from the htdig mailing list, send a message to
You will receive a message to confirm this.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b28 : Tue Jan 04 2000 - 10:45:54 PST