Subject: [htdig] Happy Y2K (late)
From: Geoff Hutchison (email@example.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 10:17:39 PST
Due to travel and my mailserver being down over New Year's, I wasn't
able to follow last year's "tradition" of a New Year's message. As
last year, this will be in parts, a look back and a look forward.
First off, a look back at what I posted last year at this time. (Hey, I
figure accountability and plain speaking are important things! ;-)
Goals for 1999:
* New server: Yes, we got a new server. Actually the new server became an
even newer server, but this remark was on the money--htdig.org is here to
stay and it offers more services and hopefully better performance for all
* Database merging: Yes, this finally made it into 3.1.0 and it's here to
* Bugs: Obviously since there's a 3.1.4 release, there were a few to be
found in 3.1.0 to 3.1.3. ;-) But I hope we still take bug reports very
seriously--to me it seems most now boil down into "it's a feature, not a
bug" as I hoped last year. Of course we're also about to release 3.2.0b1
so we'll be back to bug-squashing again.
* Better results: My project to improve search precision is a bit on hold,
but I think this did happen, largely due to fixing bugs.
* Scalability: It's still a bit hazy how well ht://Dig scales. It's
obvious that it *can* scale to millions of pages, but that's not to say
performance isn't a priority either. We just don't have as much feedback as
we'd like. (Read: We want to hear from you. Good, bad, indifferent?)
* Usability: Well, this didn't make it in 1999, but as many of you know,
there's an offer for an admin CGI. I had several takers, but one stood out
and in the coming weeks we'll start to see this shape up.
All in all, not a bad year, but it's really just a start...
Williams Students Online
To unsubscribe from the htdig mailing list, send a message to
You will receive a message to confirm this.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b28 : Tue Jan 04 2000 - 10:45:51 PST