Re: [htdig] double-byte characters?

Subject: Re: [htdig] double-byte characters?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 18:44:05 PST

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 nets@searchtools.com wrote:

> Can ht://Dig handle Japanese, Korean or Chinese? Unicode? According
> to the archives, folks were talking about this last year, but there
> was no clear resolution.

The short answer is "no, not yet." (This should probably be in the FAQ.)
Some people have had success using locale support for these, esp. Korean,
but the internals are definitely not multibyte, so this falls under "your
results may vary." ;-)

There's still some work to be done on the internals before Unicode/UTF-8
could be "plugged in" and though a variety of free Unicode libraries
exist, the pluriality means there isn't a standard yet. (So if we code for
one and it dies, we have to rewrite.)

Of course we wouldn't look a figt horse in the mouth though!