Re: [htdig] htdig says "no server running" after a while

Subject: Re: [htdig] htdig says "no server running" after a while
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 07:07:07 PST

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Michael Balzer wrote:

> htdig has to index a medium scale document database
> over here (about 2.5 gb in about 120.000 documents).
> the system is a suse linux 6.2 with apache 1.3.6,
> htdig is 3.1.4. reindexing is done every night.

Are you indexing a server on the same box? In that case, I highly suggest
using local_urls (and company) to skip using HTTP. This will speed things
up considerably as well as cutting down the load on Apache.

> it *seems* the error occurs the later the more apache processes
> are running. but the current run is already going with 20
> (!) apaches, which is more than ever needed on our internet
> server... and i'm not yet sure it will index everything now.

I'm not sure why you're getting this, but you might try running htdig with
-vvv or higher, redirecting that into a log and taking a look at the HTTP
headers it gets back. This way you can see what Apache is telling the
indexer.