Re: [htdig] Berkeley DB Concurrent Data Store

Subject: Re: [htdig] Berkeley DB Concurrent Data Store
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 06:36:09 PST

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Guan Yang wrote:

> says, "Berkeley DB Concurrent Data Store is intended for multi-user
> embedded database applications with a read-mostly workload with
> occasional write operations."
>
> Now, I'm sorry if this question has already been answered in the FAQs (I
> couoldn't find it) or in earlier posts, but would Concurrent Data Store
> speed up ht://Dig significantly? And how much work would be required to
> support it?

I've never heard of it until now. Offhand, I doubt it would speed things
up. If you were trying to use this on the same machine, it would slow
things down with the client/server overhead. If the database was served on
another machine, you'd have the network overhead. Since networks are
slower than hard drives, unless you really have an overworked machine,
this won't help either.

Furthermore, it mentions "read-mostly" workload. Since htdig, htmerge, and
htfuzzy are more "write-mostly" I expect they might not see any speedup
from the caching changes. On the flip-side, htsearch might, but you asked
about ht://Dig (in general).

So it's an interesting idea and might work for people who have a
centralized database server or something. But I doubt the vast majority of
users would see a speed increase.