Re: [htdig] Help on changing the link on the results page

Subject: Re: [htdig] Help on changing the link on the results page
From: Nathaniel Irons (irons@espresso.hampshire.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 19:30:49 PST

On 12/18/99 at 1:58 AM, bmarks@pobox.com (Brian A. Marks) wrote:

> What I'd prefer the ht://Dig results to say, instead of the messy URL
> above, would be
>
> 1998 Digest 908
>
> so that the user would know what s/he is looking at.

If the HTML title of the page is, in fact, "1998 Digest 908", then
that's easily done with the $(TITLE) template variable. If the "1998
Digest 908" information doesn't appear someplace htdig knows to look
within the source document, then you're going to have to write a wrapper
around htsearch's output which does know about those relationships.

For the exact details of the terms you can use to populate an htsearch
template, see

    http://www.htdig.org/hts_templates.html

... as found under the htsearch pages on the main site.

Incidentally, as some free advice, you're probably already figuring out
that indexing digests is a big pain, especially when we're discussing a
search engine which doesn't yet match phrases. The length of a typical
digest can mean all kinds of miscellaneous keywords from unrelated
messages are going to get mixed up and returned inappropriately.
formail, part of the procmail package, is a good tool for busting
digests into individual messages.

> 2) I have seen sites where the search form gives the user options of
> searching different sub-sections of the site, and even options for
> off-site searching. I believe the way to do this is to set up a
> different configuration file that specifies different db files

That's one way. Another, often easier way is to learn about the
restrict and exclude options, as detailed at

    http://www.htdig.org/hts_form.html

... which is also found under the htsearch pages on the main site.

  -nat