Re: [htdig] Help on changing the link on the results page

Subject: Re: [htdig] Help on changing the link on the results page
From: Nathaniel Irons (
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 19:30:49 PST

On 12/18/99 at 1:58 AM, (Brian A. Marks) wrote:

> What I'd prefer the ht://Dig results to say, instead of the messy URL
> above, would be
> 1998 Digest 908
> so that the user would know what s/he is looking at.

If the HTML title of the page is, in fact, "1998 Digest 908", then
that's easily done with the $(TITLE) template variable. If the "1998
Digest 908" information doesn't appear someplace htdig knows to look
within the source document, then you're going to have to write a wrapper
around htsearch's output which does know about those relationships.

For the exact details of the terms you can use to populate an htsearch
template, see

... as found under the htsearch pages on the main site.

Incidentally, as some free advice, you're probably already figuring out
that indexing digests is a big pain, especially when we're discussing a
search engine which doesn't yet match phrases. The length of a typical
digest can mean all kinds of miscellaneous keywords from unrelated
messages are going to get mixed up and returned inappropriately.
formail, part of the procmail package, is a good tool for busting
digests into individual messages.

> 2) I have seen sites where the search form gives the user options of
> searching different sub-sections of the site, and even options for
> off-site searching. I believe the way to do this is to set up a
> different configuration file that specifies different db files

That's one way. Another, often easier way is to learn about the
restrict and exclude options, as detailed at

... which is also found under the htsearch pages on the main site.