[htdig] Help on changing the link on the results page

Subject: [htdig] Help on changing the link on the results page
From: Brian A. Marks (bmarks@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 22:58:17 PST

Hello everyone:

I just installed the latest version of ht://Dig and it seems great so
far...very easy to install and use, and the results seem to be very
accurate. I have what I hope are two simple questions and after extensive
reading of the documentation I've turned here for help.

---------

1) Much of my site content is in old mailing list digests that are searched
and displayed in a results listing as shown here:

http://www.grandprix.net/cgi-grandprix/98.pl?file=908.txt

Basically I wrote a quick and dirty Perl script to parse out the .txt files
(which are just digest e-mails from the mailing list I run) to make them
easier to read, but this results in messy search results.

What I'd prefer the ht://Dig results to say, instead of the messy URL
above, would be

1998 Digest 908

so that the user would know what s/he is looking at. The link should
remain as above, but the text description of the link should be in English
as I just described.

Does anyone know how this can be done?

2) I have seen sites where the search form gives the user options of
searching different sub-sections of the site, and even options for off-site
searching. I believe the way to do this is to set up a different
configuration file that specifies different db files for the index to be
written to, and then to add a select box on the search form which has a
value of whatever db is appropriate for the selection. Is this the way it
works? Is there a reference on how to do this somwhere on the web that I
just didn't see?

Thanks for any advice and time you can lend. I appreciate this list and
the extensive help that was available on the ht://Dig website. Someone has
put a lot of work into this and it has turned out great.

Thank you,

--
Brian A. Marks
Vertical Stores Corp.