Re: [htdig] Newbie problems

Subject: Re: [htdig] Newbie problems
From: Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Date: Wed Dec 15 1999 - 09:48:33 PST

Tom Nawara wrote:

> Hello.
> I'm having problems running ht://Dig 3.1.4.
> Specs:
> * RedHat Linux (release 6.1, kernel 2.2.12-20)
> * Intel HW
> * Apache 1.3.9
>
> After install of the RPM (which seems to go very smoothly), running htdig and
> htmerge, and configuration of test search forms
> (http://www.nhma.org/stest_post.html and http://www.nhma.org/stest_get.html),
> I'm running into problems. First, it's not allowing me to use "post," only
> "get." Second, when I do use the "get" method I'm getting garbage back to the
> browser.
>
> htsearch works from the command line, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Check your Apache configuration. You're obviously not allowed to run a
CGI
binary from the location where you installed the htsearch program.

If your web server does not recognize the htsearch program as a CGI
application,
it will try to handle it just as any other document, i.e. return the
file "as is",
but not execute it with the search query requested by your input form.

hth,
  Torsten