Re: [htdig] How about a htdig newgroup?

Subject: Re: [htdig] How about a htdig newgroup?
From: Brian Salter-Duke (b_duke@lacebark.ntu.edu.au)
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 16:05:08 PST

On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 02:59:54PM -0600, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> According to Wayne Larmon:
> > Is it possible to replace this mailing list with a htdig newsgroup? This
> > mailing list is so active that it isn't attractive to subscribe to because
> > that means too much incoming mail. But it is also clumsy to try to monitor
> > (and post to) the list from the web archive.
> >
> > Newsgroups are much more suited for this kind of activity IMHO. But I've
> > never set up a newsgroup, so I don't have any idea how to do it.
> >
> > Good idea, bad idea?
>
> I can only speak for myself on this point, but I'd much prefer a mailing
> list over a newgroup. I've pretty much abandoned long ago any of the
> newsgroups I had been following, and even back then, I wasn't following
> them that regularly. If this list were moved to a newsgroup, I doubt I'd
> participate much.
>
> The new list server on htdig.org supports digests, if that helps, but I
> guess those would be even clumsier to reply to. It's a shame our web
> mailing list archive isn't easier to browse through and followup.

I moved to the digest when it came out and it works fine. I use mutt and
a little utility called metamutt. When in the digest, I can hit "S" and
it opens a new mutt with the digest split into separate messages. Then,
as now, I can just reply to one of them. I only use this facility if one
of the messages looks interesting. Otherwise I just delete the whole
digest.

Cheers, Brian.

--
Associate Professor Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke) b_duke@lacebark.ntu.edu.au
      School of Biological, Environmental and Chemical Sciences, SITE,