Re: [htdig] How about a htdig newgroup?

Subject: Re: [htdig] How about a htdig newgroup?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 13:05:39 PST

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Wayne Larmon wrote:

> Is it possible to replace this mailing list with a htdig newsgroup? This
> mailing list is so active that it isn't attractive to subscribe to because
> that means too much incoming mail. But it is also clumsy to try to monitor
> (and post to) the list from the web archive.

For one, you might try the digest version of this list. You can subscribe
to it from the web page (just make note that it *won't* unsubscribe you
from the main list): <http://www.htdig.org/mailing.html>

I don't forsee this list disappearing. Personally, I don't use USENET much
at all, while I do check my e-mail frequently. Of course it's a personal
opinion.

> Newsgroups are much more suited for this kind of activity IMHO. But I've
> never set up a newsgroup, so I don't have any idea how to do it.

I would guess the process is much the same as it's always been--you need
to petition. I think the news.answers FAQ has some information on the
process.

Offhand, I would guess a more general comp.infosystems newsgroup would be
more likely to fly.