Re: [htdig] Unrecognized character \177 error message with htsearch.

Subject: Re: [htdig] Unrecognized character \177 error message with htsearch.
From: Gilles Detillieux (
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 11:28:40 PST

According to Francisco Sosa:
> Hi, I get an error message when I try to submit a search to htsearch.
> The value passed via the submit button is:
> config=htdig&restrict=&exclude=&words=sd&method=and&format=builtin-long&sort=score&submit=Search
> even if I modify it so that the submit gives:
> config=htdig&words=vietnam&format=builtin-long
> it still fails.
> The error message in the log is the date followed by "[error]" followed
> by "Unrecognized character \177 at " followed by the full path to
> htsearch followed by "line 1."
> The operating system is redhat linux 6.0.
> If I run htsearch manually and answer the prompts then it functions ...
> on the terminal.
> How do I eliminate the \177 character ?

Someone back in August reported a similar error after changing his Mason
configuration. I don't know whether this is the only possible cause of
this error (I suspect not), but it may help to read that discussion. You
can find it at

or go to and search for

        unrecognized character

Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW: