Re: [htdig] Newbie on ISP/htdig question

Subject: Re: [htdig] Newbie on ISP/htdig question
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 10:38:18 PST

According to Ryan Williams:
> Background:
> I have a web hosting accout running Apache 1.3 on an ISP which
> appropriately installs htdig via a control panel. Everything normally works
> fine, but I am now redirecting several domains to the same account using
> mod_rewrite. To do this I have to set up new DIRs for each domain which has
> rendered my account's root cgi-bin useless. Therefore, I have to create a
> new cgi-bin in each subdomain's DIR and move all my htdig files around.
>
> The ISP's control panel normally stick them here:
>
> /web/u1/<hosting account>/cgi-bin/htsearch
> /web/u1/<hosting account>/cgi-bin/rundig
> /web/u1/<hosting account>/htdig
> /web/u1/<hosting account>/www/htdig
> /web/u1/<hosting account>/htdig/conf/htdig.conf
>
> Due to the rewrite, I've had to move them here:
>
> /web/u1/<hosting account>/www/<new.domain.com>/cgi-bin/htsearch
> /web/u1/<hosting account>/www/<new.domain.com>/cgi-bin/rundig
> /web/u1/<hosting account>/www/<new.domain.com>/htdig
> /web/u1/<hosting account>/www/<new.domain.com>/www/htdig
> /web/u1/<hosting account>/www/<new.domain.com>/htdig/conf/htdig.conf
>
> Problems:
> 1) Every time I test htsearch through search.html in the www/htdig DIR using
> <form method="post" action="/cgi-bin/htsearch">
> I get:
>
> 405 Method Not Allowed
> The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL
> /new.domain.com/cgi-bin/htsearch.
>
> 2) If I try to access the htsearch script directly through my browser:
> http://new.domain.com/cgi-bin/htsearch
> the browser tries to display the code as text.
>
> Does this all sound like a problem due to the changed DIRs or am I just
> doing something stupid with the new cgi-bin? Or both :)

I'll leave the 2nd question up to you. :) The problem is that the
new cgi-bin directories you created are not recognized by Apache as
ScriptAlias directories, so it's not expecting to find CGI programs in
them. I don't know if you can override this in .htaccess files in each
of the cgi-bin directories, but if not, it may work to add the suffix
.cgi to htsearch (and call it as such in the search form). Of course,
your ISP may have configured Apache not to allow CGIs anywhere but your
main cgi-bin directory, in which case you may be out of luck.

In any case, it's an HTTP server configuration problem, not an htsearch
configuration problem, so if my two suggestions don't work, I'd suggest
you consult your ISP.