[htdig] Unrecognized character \177 error message with htsearch.

Subject: [htdig] Unrecognized character \177 error message with htsearch.
From: Francisco Sosa (sosa@oakton.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 10:17:45 PST

Hi, I get an error message when I try to submit a search to htsearch.
The value passed via the submit button is:

config=htdig&restrict=&exclude=&words=sd&method=and&format=builtin-long&sort=score&submit=Search

even if I modify it so that the submit gives:

config=htdig&words=vietnam&format=builtin-long

it still fails.

The error message in the log is the date followed by "[error]" followed
by "Unrecognized character \177 at " followed by the full path to
htsearch followed by "line 1."

The operating system is redhat linux 6.0.

If I run htsearch manually and answer the prompts then it functions ...
on the terminal.
How do I eliminate the \177 character ?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,