Re: [htdig] nomatch.html

Subject: Re: [htdig] nomatch.html
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 09:32:36 PST

According to Torsten Neuer:
> "Dernieres.com" wrote:
> > You will find that in htcommon/defaults.cc, before compiling, of course.

Whenever anyone tells you to change defaults.cc, you should see a big
warning flag waving. There is absolutely nothing in that file that you
cannot override in your own htdig.conf configuration file. There's no
need to change the source here.

> > The only remaining change is in htsearch/TemplateList.cc , to change
> > "bytes" in the results page.

Again, while not as obvious as the defaults.cc, this can be overridden
in your configuration. I think the documentation needs to be made more
clear, but the default htdig.conf now gives an example of how to override
the builtin templates. You should change the "bytes" string in your
common/long.html, not in the source.

> > I've translated htdig 3.1.4 in french if somebody's interested.
> >
> > antonio chavez wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm translating the htdig's HTML files to spanish, but i don't know
> > > where to change some of the INPUT fields in "nomatch.html"
> > >
> > > Where can i change the names in: METHOD, FORMAT and EXCLUDE ?
> > >
> > > i.e. "Short" to "Corto", "Long" to "Largo", etc ..
>
> There is no need to hack the sources in order to customize Ht://Dig
> for a specific language. In fact, all you need to do is to change
> the configuration file. In particular this is done via the following
> configuration directives (I'll list all which are of interest for
> "porting" Ht://Dig to another language, including those that can be
> used to tune the search performance by honoring language specific
> characteristics):
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#bad_word_list
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#date_format
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#endings_affix_file
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#endings_dictionary
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#endings_root2word_db
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#endings_word2root_db
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#extra_word_characters
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#locale
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#maximum_word_length
> * http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#method_names
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#minimum_prefix_length
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#minimum_word_length
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#no_excerpt_text
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#no_next_page_text
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#no_page_list_header
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#no_page_number_text
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#no_prev_page_text
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#nothing_found_file
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#no_title_text
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#page_list_header
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#page_number_separator
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#page_number_text
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#prev_page_text
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#search_results_footer
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#search_results_header
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#search_results_wrapper

I'd add

           http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#sort_names

to this list.

> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#synonym_db
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#synonym_dictionary
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#syntax_error_file
> * http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#template_map
> * http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#template_name
> http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#valid_punctuation
>
> Also have a look at
> http://www.htdig.org/hts_templates.html
>
> There is no template name called "EXCLUDE".

Well, actually there is. This propagates the "exclude" input parameter
into the followup search form included nomatch.html and the other templates.
Similarly for the RESTRICT template variable. These are unfortunately
missing from the templates documentation. However, RESTRICT and EXCLUDE
do not contain embedded English text. If they're defined at all, there
value is set in search forms, not in the source or htdig.conf. I suspect
that what Antonio meant was the SORT template variable.