Re: [htdig] Compiling on DEC unix

Subject: Re: [htdig] Compiling on DEC unix
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 14:12:58 PST

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> At 9:53 AM -0600 12/10/99, Paul E. Johnson wrote:
> >My build gets pretty far, but then ends with this
> >
> >Make: Cannot open ../../CONFIG. Stop.
> >
> >I get the same error from "make clean".
> >
> >I'm building this on a DEC Unix system that I don't own/maintain, and I
> >have no way of knowing what version of make they have. Is it possible
> >this is cause by not having gnu make?
>
> Nah, you'd get an entirely different message, probably something
> about bad Makefile syntax.
>
> You can solve this problem by editing the generated Makefile.config
> by hand. Simply edit the line that includes ../../CONFIG and point it
> to an appropriate place. The other Makefiles include Makefile.config
> so you shouldn't need to edit those.
>
> I don't know why it's happening, but it should let you compile.
> Cheers,

If I recall, this WAS a problem with some non-GNU make programs, and had
to do with whether they interpret include statements relative to the
directory under which make is running, or relative to the directory under
which the current Makefile is found.

Makefile.config has the statement "include $(top_builddir)/CONFIG" in it,
but when it is included by the Makefile in a subdirectory, top_builddir
is set to "..", which is OK for GNU make. It interprets the .. relative
to the subdirectory in which it's running, so it goes up to the main
source directory to find CONFIG. DEC Unix's make sees the ../CONFIG in
the main source directory's Makefile.config, and so it goes one more level
up to look for CONFIG.

There are a few solutions:
1) Use GNU make.
2) Edit Makefile.config, to simply say "include CONFIG" without the reference
   to top_builddir.
3) Copy the CONFIG file to one directory level up.

This shouldn't be a problem in 3.2, which gets rid of CONFIG.