Subject: [htdig] [ANNOUNCE] ht://Dig 3.1.4 RPMs for Red Hat
From: Gilles Detillieux (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 13:00:01 PST
I've just uploaded source and binary rpms for the ht://Dig 3.1.4 web
site search engine to incoming.redhat.com, for eventual inclusion
on contrib.redhat.com. I've also placed them on the htdig.org site,
in http://www.htdig.org/files/binaries/. They can also be downloaded
from the SCRC web site, at
This is the latest stable release and is recommended for all production
The following RPMs were built on Red Hat Linux 4.2, 5.0* and 6.0 respectively:
htdig-3.1.4-0glibc.i386.rpm * (see note below)
htdig-3.1.4-0glibc.src.rpm * (see note below)
htdig-3.1.4-0glibc21.i386.rpm (for glibc-2.1, Red Hat 6.0)
htdig-3.1.4-0glibc21.src.rpm (for glibc-2.1, Red Hat 6.0)
Run /usr/sbin/rundig after installing, to (re)build all your databases.
(A complete reindexing isn't necessary if you had htdig-3.1.2 previously
installed, unless you want to take advantage of the new compound word
Name : htdig Distribution: (none)
Version : 3.1.4 Vendor: (none)
Release : 0 Build Date: Fri Dec 10 10:13:38 1999
Install date: Fri Dec 10 12:05:04 1999 Build Host: cliff.scrc.umanitoba.ca
Group : Networking/Utilities Source RPM: htdig-3.1.4-0.src.rpm
Size : 3053918
Packager : Gilles Detillieux <email@example.com>
URL : http://www.htdig.org/
Summary : A web indexing and searching system for a small domain or intranet
The ht://Dig system is a complete world wide web indexing and searching
system for a small domain or intranet. This system is not meant to replace
the need for powerful internet-wide search systems like Lycos, Infoseek,
Webcrawler and AltaVista. Instead it is meant to cover the search needs for
a single company, campus, or even a particular sub section of a web site.
As opposed to some WAIS-based or web-server based search engines, ht://Dig
can span several web servers at a site. The type of these different web
servers doesn't matter as long as they understand the HTTP 1.0 protocol.
* Note to Red Hat 5.0 & 5.1 users:
There's an obscure bug in vixie-cron on Red Hat 5.0 and 5.1 systems,
in its SIGCHLD signal handling. It causes htmerge to fail consistently
with a "Word sort failed" error, when run from a cron job. It could
potentially cause similar problems with other jobs. I recommend upgrading
to the latest vixie-cron from the 5.2 distribution updates:
They can be obtained from any Red Hat Linux update mirror site, or
along with the htdig RPMs from my web site above.
Release notes for htdig-3.1.4 9 Dec 1999
This version cleans up some remaining bugs in the 3.1.3 release. As
the latest stable release of ht://Dig, it is recommended for all
* Fixed a nasty bug in URL parameter parsing, which was gobbling up
bare ampersands (&) and CGI parameter names.
* Fixed a bug where htdig would go into an infinite loop if an entry
in local_urls, local_user_urls or server_aliases was
missing the "=".
* Fixed a bug in htsearch, where it failed when reading long queries
via the POST method.
* Fixed a bug in htdig, where it failed to close the connection
after certain errors.
* Fixed a bug that clobbered the hop count of initial documents.
* Fixed bugs in HTML parser's handling of META tags. It no longer
continues indexing meta tags when indexing is turned off for the
document, and it no longer gets confused by punctuation in META
descriptions and keywords.
* Fixed a bug in the handling of the case_sensitive attribute, so
that it's not limited to robots.txt parsing. Now, if false, it
causes URLs to be mapped to lowercase, to avoid mixed case
duplicates as expected.
* HTML parser now indexes text in alt parameter of img tags, and
calculates word locations more accurately than before.
* Digging via the local filesystem can now be done even without an
HTTP server running, and a few more file types can be indexed
locally, without having to rely on the server.
* Sender name in htnotify's e-mail messages is now quoted.
* The external_parsers attribute is now extended to support
external converters, to avoid a lot of the complications of
writing external parsers.
* Added support for several new configuration attributes:
authorization, start_highlight, end_highlight,
local_urls_only, page_number_separator, script_name,
template_patterns, and valid_extensions.
* The keywords input parameter to htsearch is now propagated to
followup searches, as for other input parameters.
* The query string can now be passed to htsearch as a single command
line argument, for use in scripts.
* Added better examples and comments in sample htdig.conf, and added
boolean match type to sample search.html form.
* The HTML parser in htdig now turns off indexing between <style>
and </style> tags.
* A variety of other bug fixes, and many documentation updates. See
the ChangeLog for details.
* Once again, thanks to everyone who reported bugs and bug fixes.
The full ChangeLog for this release is available from:
-- Gilles R. Detillieux E-mail: <firstname.lastname@example.org> Spinal Cord Research Centre WWW: http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/~grdetil Dept. Physiology, U. of Manitoba Phone: (204)789-3766 Winnipeg, MB R3E 3J7 (Canada) Fax: (204)789-3930
------------------------------------ To unsubscribe from the htdig mailing list, send a message to email@example.com You will receive a message to confirm this.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b28 : Fri Dec 10 1999 - 13:13:13 PST