Re: [htdig] htdig output templates: XML? RDF? SHOE? DAML?

Subject: Re: [htdig] htdig output templates: XML? RDF? SHOE? DAML?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 09:54:20 PST

At 8:25 AM +0000 12/10/99, Rzepa, Henry wrote:
>I began to wonder whether a more formal method might exist
>to allow the results of different search engines to inter-operate,
>and to eliminate the rather ungainly need for plugins in the first
>place (ie Sherlock plugins are proprietary and incompatible
>with other plugins).

This is a lovely goal. There are similar projects for working out
some standard, user-friendly syntax for search queries as well.

>so my question to THIS forum and the developers is whether you
>folks have any strategic long term goal of moving the output of
>htrdig into an inter-operable arena, which might implement any
>of the methods described below.

I think for now the default will stay some form of HTML. But as you
know, it's pretty easy to change the output of htsearch to *any*
form, so it shouldn't be too difficult to support other output types
as they come along. Is there any particular block to defining
templates for any of these? After all, there's nothing that says that
header.html, footer.html, etc. have to actually be HTML! You could
just as easily define a header.xml, footer.xml...

Of course, many of the projects you mentioned work on the data side
as well as the output. For example, some people use RDF to describe
their site's metadata. So ht://Dig should support this as well.
Suggestions and contributions are very welcome--it's hard to keep
tabs on all the evolving standards.

(Does this answer your question?)