Re: [htdig] setting precompiled CONFIG_DIR

Subject: Re: [htdig] setting precompiled CONFIG_DIR
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 08:54:14 PST

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> At 12:12 PM -0500 12/10/99, Paul Key wrote:
> >Can I override this pre-compiled setting anywhere? I want
> >CONFIG_DIR to be /usr/local/htdig/conf.
> >
> >Or do I have to hardwire the conf dir to where the
> >precomplied binaries expect them to be?
>
> For security reasons, the CGI must know the directory where the
> config files will be. To "override" it, you'd have to put it in a
> config file, which would be a chicken-and-egg sort of thing.

In htsearch, you can override the compiled-in default for CONFIG_DIR,
by setting the CONFIG_DIR environment variable to the directory you
want. Of course, this requires setting up a CGI wrapper script, unless
you set the variable in your web server's environment, and configure it
to pass this variable along to CGI programs (PassEnv directive in Apache,
if I recall).