Re: [htdig] boolean query to get today's date

Subject: Re: [htdig] boolean query to get today's date
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 19:43:17 PST

At 1:52 AM +0100 12/7/99, Giancarlo Pinerolo wrote:
>And I was wondering if, as absurd as you may think, anyone has some
>boolean query that can get somehow close in finding today's date, in all
>its possible forms, out of a text file.
>I succeded in getting today's date in the form '07/11/1999' or
>'7/11/1999' or November or Nov, etc, but I am lazy and thought if anyone
>has gone any closer

As you might expect, this is a very difficult task. For example,
let's take the date you gave: '07/11/1999' In the US, we'd think that
refers to July 11, 1999, while many other places would think November
7, 1999. In short, there isn't a general solution for picking up
dates without knowing something about the format ahead of time.

This is why ht://Dig has the modification_time_is_now attribute--it
just gives the current timestamp when a server doesn't return a date.