Re: [htdig] parse_ref_record (Perl interface to database)

Subject: Re: [htdig] parse_ref_record (Perl interface to database)
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 19:48:25 PST

At 3:12 PM -0800 12/6/99, Warren Jones wrote:
>It looks like parse_ref_record in contrib/whatsnew/whatsnew.pl
>has not kept up with changes in the database format. Does
>anyone have version of this Perl interface that understands
>the version 3.1.3 database format? If not, I'll see if I can
>figure it out by reading the ht://Dig code, but I'd be grateful
>to anyone who can save me the trouble.

I was hoping others might respond to this since it's been a recent
thread on the htdig3-dev list. You might want to check the archive at
<http://dev.htdig.org/devmailarchives.html>

The biggest problem with the Perl scripts is that they don't
understand the URL-encoding/compression introduced in 3.1.0 and later
versions with the attributes url_part_aliases and common_url_parts.
Additionally, many times the excerpts are stored compressed using the
zlib compression library, which complicates things slightly.

In short, the scripts will need to read a config file to find out
what the proper URL encodings are before doing anything useful with
the databases.

There's more detail in the htdig3-dev discussion, but that's a
general overview.
Cheers,