Subject: [htdig] [ANNOUNCE] Release of ht://Dig version 3.1.4
From: Geoff Hutchison (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 17:00:20 PST
I'm proud to announce the release of the latest stable version of
ht://Dig, version 3.1.4. Thanks to many people for bug reports,
fixes, suggestions and other contributions.
To download htdig-3.1.4, see <http://www.htdig.org/files/htdig-3.1.4.tar.gz>
To download a patch from 3.1.3, see
For more details on the changes involved, you can also find the full
ChangeLog at <http://www.htdig.org/ChangeLog>
Williams Students Online
Release notes for htdig-3.1.4 9 Dec 1999
This version cleans up some remaining bugs in the 3.1.3 release. As
the latest stable release of ht://Dig, it is recommended for all
* Fixed a nasty bug in URL parameter parsing, which was gobbling up
bare ampersands (&) and CGI parameter names.
* Fixed a bug where htdig would go into an infinite loop if an entry
in local_urls, local_user_urls or server_aliases was
missing the "=".
* Fixed a bug in htsearch, where it failed when reading long queries
via the POST method.
* Fixed a bug in htdig, where it failed to close the connection
after certain errors.
* Fixed a bug that clobbered the hop count of initial documents.
* Fixed bugs in HTML parser's handling of META tags. It no longer
continues indexing meta tags when indexing is turned off for the
document, and it no longer gets confused by punctuation in META
descriptions and keywords.
* Fixed a bug in the handling of the case_sensitive attribute, so
that it's not limited to robots.txt parsing. Now, if false, it
causes URLs to be mapped to lowercase, to avoid mixed case
duplicates as expected.
* HTML parser now indexes text in alt parameter of img tags, and
calculates word locations more accurately than before.
* Digging via the local filesystem can now be done even without an
HTTP server running, and a few more file types can be indexed
locally, without having to rely on the server.
* Sender name in htnotify's e-mail messages is now quoted.
* The external_parsers attribute is now extended to support
external converters, to avoid a lot of the complications of
writing external parsers.
* Added support for several new configuration attributes:
authorization, start_highlight, end_highlight,
local_urls_only, page_number_separator, script_name,
template_patterns, and valid_extensions.
* The keywords input parameter to htsearch is now propagated to
followup searches, as for other input parameters.
* The query string can now be passed to htsearch as a single command
line argument, for use in scripts.
* Added better examples and comments in sample htdig.conf, and added
boolean match type to sample search.html form.
* The HTML parser in htdig now turns off indexing between <style>
and </style> tags.
* A variety of other bug fixes, and many documentation updates. See
the ChangeLog for details.
* Once again, thanks to everyone who reported bugs and bug fixes.
To unsubscribe from the htdig mailing list, send a message to
You will receive a message to confirm this.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b28 : Thu Dec 09 1999 - 17:21:23 PST