Re: [htdig] Soundex & Metaphone algos for the german language?

Subject: Re: [htdig] Soundex & Metaphone algos for the german language?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 07:09:24 PST

At 1:42 PM +0100 12/7/99, Thomas Albl wrote:
>Is there a chance to use the search algorithms "Soudex" and/or "Metaphone"
>for the german language? Has anyone done it sucessfully? Then, how do I set
>up the databases (what format) for these algos?

Soundex might work OK, but metaphone is really designed for English
phoenetics. There have been requests for a more user-defined fuzzy
algorithm which would let users specify characters (or parts of
words) that should be considered equivalent. In any case, you'd run
something like this:

htfuzzy soundex

after indexing, then make sure the search_algorithm attribute is set
to your satisfaction:
<http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#search_algorithm>