Re: [htdig] Indexing of TITLE and ALT attributes

Subject: Re: [htdig] Indexing of TITLE and ALT attributes
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 15:06:09 PST

At 6:06 PM +0000 12/6/99, Rzepa, Henry wrote:
>Can anyone familiar with the source code let me know whether ht//Dig 3.2 will
>parse TITLE and or ALT fields for a range of elements? I note that
>in June 1999, this
>question was asked of the IMG ALT attribute. The answer then was no.
>I also note that in http://www.htdig.org/htdig3-dev/1999/12/0013.html
>mention is made of adding ALT indexing to IMG, but not apparently
>which can all have either ALT

Right now, the development code does not index anything beyond IMG
ALT attributes. Adding them to other tags would not be very
difficult, though it would be helpful to have a DTD. :-)

I guess we could probably add support for both ALT and TEXT
attributes in the tags that you mention. If you've tried any of the
3.2 snapshots, the patch would be pretty simple because the HTML
parser is a bit easier to modify.