Re: [htdig] Index halted

Subject: Re: [htdig] Index halted
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 15:10:21 PST

At 11:57 AM -0500 12/6/99, KHumpf@IITRI.ORG wrote:
>them are in there somewhere. As long as I don't use the -i switch with
>htdig, don't I keep all the old stuff that's in the database? If so, why
>doesn't my search find any of them?
>
>It takes about 3 days to finish indexing on everything so I would really
>like to avoid starting over if at all possible.

The problem with attempting to stop and start an indexing run (even
if it's not intentional) is that the status information is not
written to the document database. So yes, you're right your
information is "in there." But ht://Dig stores a key record with the
number of documents in the database. Since the indexing crashed, this
was not written and starting it actually made things worse--it
probably only wrote the number for the 5 documents that you "added."

So I have to give you bad news, you must start over.

One thing to note... I don't know how well it works for running out
of disk space, but using htdig -l [other options] writes out a
progress log when htdig is interrupted. Then starting up again with
-l re-reads the log and picks up again.