Re: [htdig] Javascript Generated Content

Subject: Re: [htdig] Javascript Generated Content
From: Peter Bisset (PBISSET@emergency.qld.gov.au)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 15:11:46 PST

Peter Bisset
Finance Business Systems
Ph: 3247 8553 (94553)
Fax: 3247 8560 (94560)

Peter Bisset wrote:

> There is a simple way to do this and it will work for all robots.

> Two benefits -
>
> 1. works for browsers without js
> 2. lets robots index the page
>
> I do exactly this and it works a treat.

>This only works for JavaScript navigation, but will have major
disadvantages
>(and also not work in all cases) for document contents (which is what
>Nguyen does:

The disadvantages would be ..? I don't believe this is correct, since you must use the <script> tag to enter script, js or vb or other type. I have checked it with IE and Netscape and it works fine.

>> my site use Javascript to generate the content (for compat b/c Netscape

>If content is created with document.write(), then you'll get quite an
overhead
>in the file sizes as they will get twice as big.

Wrong again. All you need to do is make sure the URL is in the <noscript> section. I fail to see how this will make a page twice as big. What will the html grow from? 1K to 2K? Doesn't sound too bad to me!