Re: [htdig] Re: Request for a CGI-based admin interface

Subject: Re: [htdig] Re: Request for a CGI-based admin interface
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 16:09:59 PST

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999 nets@searchtools.com wrote:

> I'd very much like to help out with wording and organization, as I'm
> currently reviewing AltaVista Search, Ultraseek, Verity, Site Server
> and Excalibur, all of which have some form of browser admin.
> Ultraseek's is best, though they don't allow results page
> customization. For that, the best options are the remote search
> services Atomz and PinPoint.

That would be great! In the spirit of free software, the proposal is open
to community input, either through this list, e-mail to me privately, or
through comments to the website:
<http://www.cosource.com/cgi-bin/cos.pl/wish/info/200>

Here's what I put up so far:

--
The project should produce a web-based interface to administer significant
portions of an ht://Dig installation. It would preferably be a perl CGI,

Other features like additional config options, editing the config files
and/or search templates would also be nice, but are not required for this
particular request.
--

> But please don't design the system so it's always limited to "a few > minimal attributes" -- better to put the structures in place for > providing complete control.

I'm open to suggestions on how to word this. I assume that the end product would be GPL'ed, so it would be open to additional enhancement. I also didn't think it would be very difficult to add on whatever control was desired, once the basic framework was designed.