Re: [htdig] Re: Request for a CGI-based admin interface

Subject: Re: [htdig] Re: Request for a CGI-based admin interface
From: Nathaniel Irons (irons@espresso.hampshire.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 16:02:01 PST

On 12/1/99 at 3:22 PM, nets@searchtools.com wrote:

> But please don't design the system so it's always limited to "a few
> minimal attributes" -- better to put the structures in place for
> providing complete control.

But that's the trick, isn't it -- complete control is already available
to people with the time to puzzle through the configuration files. If
the web-based admin successfully goes whole hog, then it should replace
the existing configuration system, not establish a redundant, friendlier
parallel. Maybe that's a good idea, but it's in a different dimension
from the $75 token, and it seems ill-advised with a big new htdig
revision in the offing.

Frankly, as someone who fairly recently made the investment to figure
out the relationships and the minutiae of the various kinds of config
files htdig employs, I'm having a hard time even imagining how a
simplified admin system should work. Judging from the traffic on the
user list, the problem is nearly always that people either haven't read
or didn't understand the Big List Of Config Attributes.

That's going to remain the primary hurdle with this admin interface,
whether you choose to call it a UI problem or a documentation problem.
htdig has a simply dizzying array of options, many of which initially
overwhelm the experience of novice search-site admins.

  -nat