Re: [htdig] Problems with win32 port

Subject: Re: [htdig] Problems with win32 port
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 12:57:30 PST

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> At 11:55 AM +1000 12/1/99, Peter Bisset wrote:
> >I have installed 3.1.0b2 on my NT server and htdig runs fine. I have
> >some PDF documents that I want to index and htdig appears to work
> >correctly. I am using xpdf v0.90 and a slightly modified
> >parse_doc.pl script is attached with mods for win32 if anyone is
> >interested.
>
> Did you just use the binary, or did you compile it yourself? If
> you're willing to compile source under cygwin, I bet the latest
> version (3.1.3) or better yet, the soon to be released 3.1.4 would
> help. It would definitely solve the /bin/mv issue.

htfuzzy 3.1.4 still uses /bin/mv to move the endings databases into place.
You'd either need to install mv in /bin, or change the paths right in
htfuzzy/EndingsDB.cc and recompile. If neither is an option to you, you
could probably run "htfuzzy endings" and then manually move the word2root
and root2word databases into place youself. Once they're there, you
should not need to repeat that htfuzzy command again, so it's no big deal.

In the 3.2 development code, the /bin/mv commands have been changed into
link and unlink system calls, to move the database from the TMPDIR to
the final destination (usually in the "common" directory). This may
solve that problem, but it creates another - if TMPDIR and the final
destination are on separate volumes, the link will fail, whereas the mv
command will physically move the files from one volume to another.

As for the first problem, it's hard to say exactly where the problem lies.
3.1.0b2 is very old, and a lot of bugs have since been fixed, including
some bugs in the external parser support. I'd suggest first running the
parse_doc.pl script manually on a few documents to make sure all that is
working correctly. If it is, then run htdig -vvv and watch the output
to make sure htdig is catching all the words the script spits out for
those documents.