[htdig] Re: Request for a CGI-based admin interface

Subject: [htdig] Re: Request for a CGI-based admin interface
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 20:38:30 PST

Hi,

One of the complaints I hear periodically is that ht://Dig is a bit
difficult to administer. I've heard more than one person say that
they'd think about writing something to do this, probably web/CGI
based. However, the closest thing that I've seen are modified
"rundig" scripts, including my multidig scripts.

OK, time to put our money where our mouths are. :-)

I was poking around the various open-source development bazaars just
now and I saw two offers for htdig on Cosource.com, one for a SQL
backend and one for using ht://Dig to index KDevelop.

I'll make an additional entry. I'll pony up $75 to see someone write
a useful admin interface for ht://Dig. Minimally, it would be
web-based (preferably in perl), let you handle multiple databases,
add URLs to a database, set a few minimal attributes like
exclude_urls, and mail you when indexing is done with a nice summary
message.

I'll be writing up a slightly more detailed description shortly. I'll
also include links to all three offers in the "Recent News" section
on <http://www.htdig.org/>