Re: [htdig] modification_time_is_now again

Subject: Re: [htdig] modification_time_is_now again
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 20:39:59 PST

Giancarlo Pinerolo's bits of Wed, 1 Dec 1999 translated to:

> > This sets ht://Dig's response to a server that does not return a modification date. By default, it stores nothing. By setting
> > modification_time_is_now, it will store the current time if the server does not return a date. Though this will return
> > incorrect dates in search results, it will cut down on reindexing from such servers when doing updates.
>
> I don't understand why it says 'it will cut down on reindexing from such
> servers when doing updates'.
I believe the documentation is in error. My experience is that setting
modification_time_is_now to true causes every failed request for a
modification time to result in the corresponding page being reindexed.
This of course is exactly what you need if you are concerned about
updates working for pages on uncooperative servers.

Jim