[htdig] modification_time_is_now again

Subject: [htdig] modification_time_is_now again
From: Giancarlo Pinerolo (ping@alter.it)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 16:26:56 PST

from teh doc:

> This sets ht://Dig's response to a server that does not return a modification date. By default, it stores nothing. By setting
> modification_time_is_now, it will store the current time if the server does not return a date. Though this will return
> incorrect dates in search results, it will cut down on reindexing from such servers when doing updates.

I don't understand why it says 'it will cut down on reindexing from such
servers when doing updates'.

EG
1) a doc has 'last modified' unknown (which, as I recall from a previous
post, means actually 0)
2) this, on the first run, gets changer to now (lets say 30/11/1999
00.00)
3) the next runthe same doc will return 0 again
4) then what happens? will it

a) compare 0 to 30/11 and decide that it has not been changed?

or

b) transform 0 to now again (let's say 01/12/1999) and reindex it?

From that phrase in the doc I guess the first, isn't it?

Then I really think I got a bug when running an update with mod_t_is_now
false over a base db that has been digged with m_t_i_n true :

in this case the max_hop count is completely unrespected and a 9999 dig
starts.

If this bug is true (in which case I bet you'd immediatly halt the
unwanted 9999 dig, and restart it with m_t_i_n true) then any doc that
doesn't return a mod_t will never have a chance to be reindexed again.

Gian