Re: [htdig] excluding file trees from indexing process

Subject: Re: [htdig] excluding file trees from indexing process
From: Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 08:35:15 PST

Jens Moellenhoff wrote:

> wcarlson@vh.org schrieb:
>
> > Two other approaches:
> >
> > 1) Turn off Fancy Indexing, if you don't need it. I would think it is most
> > helpful to folks editing sites, for a production site it shouldn't be
> > needed.
>
> Pardon me asking, but what exactly is "fancy indexing"? I haven't found
> any definition of this term on htdig.org
>
> I can only guess that fancy indexing means the indexing of only a
> certain area on a server. I have to use that, because I do not want to
> index a whole server... so I cannot turn that off.

Nope. The term "Fancy Indexing" refers to a configuration setting of
the web server. It means to have the web server producing directory
listings for those URLs where no default document (i.e. index document)
is available. Turning this off, will result in an error 404 (document
not found) if not handled otherwise.

As you said, you have no access to the web server itself, but maybe to
the documents served? In this case you could place your own default
document in the directory which should then produce the directory lis-
tings. This would also have the advantage of keeping your corporate
id throughout the whole site.

hth,
  Torsten