Re: [htdig] Valid punctuation

Subject: Re: [htdig] Valid punctuation
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 08:17:59 PST

According to J. op den Brouw:
> As I see it, valid_punctuation merely deletes characters from
> words. But what about replacing them with spaces so they act
> like word boundaries.
>
> Andrew's will be Andrews okay, but www.mydomain.com will be
> wwwmydomaincom. If you leave out the dot, the dot will be
> a character as in last_word_for_sentence.
>
> So what I want is to replace dot with space. Any clues on
> this subject?

As of 3.1.3, htdig not only strips out valid_punctuation, but also
breaks up words at the spots with punctuation, so that post-doctoral
will put postdoctoral, post and doctoral in the words database.
If you can't upgrade to 3.1.3, look at the patch archive for 3.1.2,
for my compound words patch. If you do upgrade, be sure you apply the
urlparmbug patch to 3.1.3. (BTW, 3.1.4 will be out before too long,
with several more fixes.)