Re: [htdig] htdig 3.1.3 freezes

Subject: Re: [htdig] htdig 3.1.3 freezes
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Nov 25 1999 - 10:40:53 PST

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> At 7:04 PM +0100 11/24/99, Marcus Ertl wrote:
> >Hi!
> > I have installed htdig 3.1.3 last night, and now I try to dig a new
> >database. But it always freezes on some pages. For example on
> >http://www.dilettanten.de/welt/haduloa.htm ... why? what can I do
> >against this?
>
> Taking a look at the page, I think it's probably a problem with the link to:
> http://service.kundenserver.de/cgi-bin/guestbook/guestbook.cgi?action=
> display&gb_domain=dilettanten.de&gb_id=1
>
> I'm surprised it's *freezing*, but there is a known bug with parsing
> URLs of this form in 3.1.3. Try this patch:
>
> http://www.htdig.org/files/contrib/other/htdig-3.1.3-urlparmbug.patch

I grabbed a copy of haduloa.html and ran an unpatched copy of htdig
3.1.3 against it, and had no hanging, so it's not hanging in the parser.
That's not to say the patch won't solve the problem for you - it might
if your gestbook.cgi is being called with bad parameters and it's the
cause of the hang. If the patch does solve the problem, you may want
to look into the possibility of making your cgi script more robust.

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest trying to reduce the problem. If you
dig a smaller set of pages, does it hang at the same documents? Does
running htdig with -vvv give any clearer indication of where it's hanging,
and perhaps even why? (-vvv will produce LOTS of debugging output)