Re: [htdig] Reducing the importance of pages.

Subject: Re: [htdig] Reducing the importance of pages.
From: David Adams (D.J.Adams@soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 25 1999 - 02:42:03 PST

> Is it possible to reduce the importance of certain pages? We have
> some pages on our site that are directories and contain thousands of
> entries. As a result they always seem to come up as top results
> whenever we search for anything. I don't really want to remove these
> pages from a search but I would like them tol appear lower down the
> list. Is this at all possible (perhaps by using negative weighting or
> similar?)?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> --------------------------
> Jason Carvalho
> Web Analyst
> Cranfield University
> J.Carvalho@Cranfield.ac.uk

You could increase the weighting of other pages by encouraging
the use of

<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="...list of keywords...">

and

<META NAME="description" CONTENT="...relevent text...">

in their headers. On our site we have increased the weighting
of keywords to 200.

You might consider not indexing the directory pages atall by placing

<META NAME="robots" CONTENT="noindex">

in their headers. Links in them will still be followed, but htdig
will not index the words in them.

--

David J Adams
<D.J.Adams@soton.ac.uk>