Re: [htdig] Using htdig as link checker

Subject: Re: [htdig] Using htdig as link checker
From: Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Date: Mon Nov 22 1999 - 00:30:26 PST

> David Wall wrote:
>
> Has anybody looked into using htdig as a site-wide link-checker? I
> can see that it will find bad links within my site, but is there a way
> to extend it to check the first link that goes outside the site? I
> wouldn't want it to index that outside page, but check to see if it's
> reachable.

A possible solution to your problem would be to use a program called
"deadlinkcheck" (should be accessible via freshmeat). It takes a list
of URLs (can be generated by Ht://Dig, but should be piped through
sort|uniq first) and outputs a file with server responses. Quite
useful (you have to check redirects by hand though).

cheers,
  Torsten