Re: [htdig] Htsearch generates error.

Subject: Re: [htdig] Htsearch generates error.
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Sat Nov 20 1999 - 16:43:49 PST

According to Sharudin Bin Othman:
> I've successfully install the HTDig search on my website. But it didn't
> work. I've even succesfully created the database. When I submit my query to
> htsearch in the cgi-bin directory, I get this error msg:
>
> Internal Server Error
> The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable
> to complete your request.
> Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform them of
> the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have
> caused the error.
>
> More information about this erxror may be available in the server error log.
>
> The webserver's error log says:
> [Thu Nov ....][error] Unrecognized character \177 at
> /home/httpd/cgi-bin/htsearch line 1
>
> Attached, pls find the htsearch that's in my webserver's cgi-bin. I noticed
> that the htsearch is a binary, and not a cgi program. Is it supposed to be
> so?
>
> I'm running the Apache web server on Redhat 6.1 (x86 machine).

CGI programs do not need to be shell scripts or Perl scripts. Any program
can do, as long as it follows the CGI input/output specifications. In the
case of htsearch, of course it's a binary - it's compiled and linked from
a large number of C and C++ source files.

It seems, though, that your Apache web server is not configured to allow
it to run. Does the htsearch file in /home/httpd/cgi-bin have execute
permissions turned on? Is this directory defined as a ScriptAlias directory
in the Apache configuration? Can you run other CGI programs from the same
directory? (If so, see what's different as far as file modes and ownership.)