Re: [htdig] Indexing virtual servers

Subject: Re: [htdig] Indexing virtual servers
From: Aaron Newsome (aaron.newsome@awwinc.com)
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 12:50:19 PST

Yes, Canonical name is on for that site. I have a workaround, but it is a
*MAJOR* pain in the ass and requires that I take my site offline while it is
indexed and modify DNS in my domain so the reverse lookup works correctly.

This seems like a pretty extreme workaround for indexing a website.

Another idea I had was from a post I saw by Michael Graff in the list
archives. He suggested hardwiring the gethostbyname call in htlib/URL.cc to
return whatever name I need it to and recompiling. Of course this new binary
could only be used to index *THIS* site, but who cares. It sure beats the heck
out mucking with DNS everytime I want to index my site.

I need someone who knows C++ better than me to show me how to hardwire the
gethostbyname call in htlib/URL.cc. I think this will solve my problem.

BTW: I am not a list memeber so if you reply to this, or my previous post,
please reply to my mail address also.

Thanks, Aaron Newsome