Re: [htdig] dark zones of time

Subject: Re: [htdig] dark zones of time
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 05:42:00 PST

At 9:32 AM +0100 11/17/99, Giancarlo wrote:
>What about settin true the first time and false the following?
>I tried varied combinations and found that this will unchain the
>'unwanted digging' nevertheless I said max_hop_count 0.

I'm not sure what you mean by "unwanted digging." See below for more
details on setting it false after setting it true.

>What does 'retrieved but not changed' in the log mean? Does it means

It means that the server ignored the "If-Modified-Since" header and
sent the document anyway, despite the dates matching.

>Will 'modification_time_is_now: false' over a previous version stored
>with
>m_t_i_n: true go thorugh a comparison? And which will be kept?

That's a good question. If the server doesn't return a date, then no
date would be stored and the comparison would be something "for the
old document" and 0 for the "new" document.

This is why we're turning on modification_time_is_now as the default for 3.2.

>Does merge respect Last modified? I mean will it substitute a doc that
>has a newer date with an older one?.

Yes. Exactly that.