Re: [htdig] Someone's forging email addresses of htdig members

Subject: Re: [htdig] Someone's forging email addresses of htdig members
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 13:04:04 PST

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Frank Martini wrote:

> > and potentially using spam-crawler poison on the
> > website.
> Could you expand on this? What is it... and how would HtDig handle it?

Ah. So the idea of poison is that you have a CGI that generates an
infinite tree of fake HTML pages with fake mailing addresses. Spambots
fall-in, get lost, and end up with a large list of bogus addresses.

As for how ht://Dig and other robots would handle this, you could easily
post META robot headers and/or robots.txt restrictions keeping
well-behaved robots out.

I'm not sure how well it works--I've never tried it. But I'm looking for
possible solutions.