Re: [htdig] windows version?

Subject: Re: [htdig] windows version?
From: Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Date: Sun Nov 14 1999 - 23:55:56 PST

> David Wall wrote:
>
> Has anybody tried porting htdig to windows? What sorts of problems am
> I likely to face? I'm most interested in being able to have htsearch
> run on windows, provided I can load the database on windows using
> binary FTP. We demo our software on a laptop, and I'd love to be able
> to demo the search as well.

At least v3.1.2 compiled right out of the box with GNU utilities (from
Cygnus) installed on a Windows box. If you're using other compilers
such as VC++, you need to configure by hand (and probably have to setup
some of the external Unix commands run by Ht://Dig, too), but that isn't
a big problem, if you've got a Unix box at hand where you can generate
some "default" configuration which you can edit for the Windows box.

The database might be a problem - depending on the machine you run the
indexer. Since it is a binary database, byte ordering is not compatible
with all target machines. You need wither to be sure that the byte or-
dering of the source and target machine matches, generate the database
on the target machine or use the database dump utility (can be found in
the database source tree in the Ht://Dig distribution) to create a text
file that can be used to rebuild the database on the target machine.

hth,
  Torsten