Re: [htdig] rundig does not finish

Subject: Re: [htdig] rundig does not finish
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Fri Nov 12 1999 - 12:10:41 PST

Howard Ha's bits of Thu, 11 Nov 1999 translated to:

> I am experiencing a weird problem and I'm not sure what the cause might
> be. If I am digging a relatively small site everything works fine. I can
> dig pretty large numbers of pages without problems, but when I try to add
> more sites to dig I get this problem where everything just stops. (it looks
> like the scripts stop midway through the dig... it never even starts the
> merge). The really weird part is that it closes my telnet session too.

Are you sure the problem is related to htdig? Have you tried just opening
up a telnet session and letting it set idle for a similar length of time?
It is not uncommon for a machine to be configured to automatically log a
user out after a specified period of inactivity. If you are just firing
rundig off from the command line and it is not doing anything to convince
the telnet session that it is active, it might be that your session is
getting dropped and your dig dying at that point.

If this is a possibility, you might want to start the dig with nohup so that
it isn't affected by an auto logout.

If you are sure an auto logout is not the problem, you probably want to try
running in verbose mode (-vv -vvv, etc.) and redirecting the output to a file
so you can go back and examine what is happening at the time things seem to
die.

Jim