RE: [htdig] perl contribs

Subject: RE: [htdig] perl contribs
From: Tillman, James (JamesTillman@fdle.state.fl.us)
Date: Fri Nov 12 1999 - 07:48:50 PST

> Not really. Probably the easiest way to approach fixing the Perl
> scripts would be to build an XS interface so the Perl code can call
> the C++ interfaces. But I don't have any experience in that sort of
> thing and have my hands full anyway. So it looks like it will only
> happen soon if someone volunteers to do it.

Geoff:

I've got plans to do just this. This was the modus operandi for my recent
modifications to the objects used by htsearch.cc in the htdig source.

I'm hoping that all that will be required now to create an XS perl module
for htsearch is to expose the Searcher class and ResultList class to Perl
through XS. At that point, you would be able to do something like this:

my $htdig = new HtDig::Searcher();
my $result_list = $htdig->execute("words to search for");
#then call methods on $result_list to get access to the results,
#maybe it's an array, like this?
foreach my $result ($result_list->results()) {
        print $result->title() . ":" . $result->url() . "\n";
}

Anyways, something like that... Sooooo, I guess I'm volunteering! I'll let
you know what develops. Please feel free to refer anyone expressing
interest in working on this to me so we can pool our efforts.

Jamie