Re: [htdig] Indexed at depth 255!

Subject: Re: [htdig] Indexed at depth 255!
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 15:24:03 PST

At 9:48 AM +0000 11/5/99, Malcolm Austen wrote:
>with -h 15 so I suspect the depth is actually "-1". I've looked at the
>output from htdig (-vvv) and can't see anything that indicates why this is
>happening so it may be a variable being primed to "-1" and then never
>being updated?

This is entirely possible. The default hopcount is -1 in 3.1.x. Since
dig does not *really* occur in a level-order manner by hopcount, it's
possible some pages never have their hopcounts updated. :-(

This should already be fixed by various changes in the 3.2 code.
Guess I should answer fewer e-mails and finish up the code I promised
for 3.2.0b1...

>interesting, most servers have everything within about 6-7-8 clicks of the
>top level but we actually have a handful of servers with pages that can
>only be reached with 15 (or more) mouse clicks!

Wow. That's pretty deep--I guess that kills the "6 click" theory
claiming that any page on the 'net can be reached through 6 clicks.

> http://daneel.oucs.ox.ac.uk/wwwsearch/report/dig_report.pl

Would you be willing to upload this to the contributed archive at
ftp.htdig.org?