Re: [htdig] htmerge behind a firewall

Subject: Re: [htdig] htmerge behind a firewall
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 10:38:48 PST

According to Dan Hewins:
> I have a server that's behind a firewall and I am having trouble
> getting the rundig script to work properly. We have NAT working for
> the server to translate a real-world IP to the behind-the-firewall
> IP. The problem is that if I make the start URL the name of my
> domain, the web server can't find that IP becuase it's an outside IP
> address. If I make the start url something like
> http://192.xxx.xxx.xxx/ then all the results from a user search have
> that IP as the url and that doesn't work for outside connections. I
> have looked at the configuration pages on the htdig.org website and
> found the "url_part_aliases" command. Will this help my situation?
>
> something like:
>
> url_part_aliases: http://www.synsolutions.com/ *site
>
> url_part_aliases: http://192.168.10.98/ *site
>
> ???
>
> I don't really know what to do here.
>
> What I need to have happen is htmerge search the
> http://192.168.10.98/ site but put the http://www.synsolutions.com/
> addresses into the database. Is there a way to do this?

I think you mean htdig, not htmerge. You need to use two different config
files for htdig (or rundig) and htsearch. Use the 2nd url_part_aliases
definition above with htdig so it digs the internal site, and use the
1st url_part_aliases definition with htsearch, so it reports the external
site addresses in search results.

Your other option would be to use http_proxy to dig your site through
a proxy, to get at it using the external addresses directly.