Re: [htdig] Boolean searches, a different approach to the same

Subject: Re: [htdig] Boolean searches, a different approach to the same
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 04 1999 - 07:32:44 PST

At 11:09 AM +0000 11/4/99, Philip Coates wrote:
>1. How does one write and pass a boolean query to htdig from outside a
>search page (we need it to happen from a script) ? What should this

Make a form with action="GET" and try the search you want. You'll
want to look for the &words=... bit, which is the user's query.

>2. What is the maximum length of a boolean (or any htdig) query in
>characters, or is there no limit?

No limit, but if you're using the GET method, many servers have a
limit for the length of URLs.

>3. Does ht://Dig _guarantee_ that the expression contained in the
>greatest number of parentheses will be evaluated first?

Well that's how the expression is parsed... I hate to use the term
"guarantee" since it feels like I'm signing some legal form, but
that's how it works.

>to be VERY long - is this a good idea? Will it make a significant
>performance impact on the speed of returning results?

It'll probably slow things down--the more terms in the query, the
more database lookups must be performed at present. But whether this
has a real-world performance impact depends a lot on the setup.