[htdig] Boolean searches, a different approach to the same problem...

Subject: [htdig] Boolean searches, a different approach to the same problem...
From: Philip Coates (philc@noho.co.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 04 1999 - 03:09:42 PST

Following my earlier queries about boolean searches, I wonder if someone
could give me some insight into the following:

1. How does one write and pass a boolean query to htdig from outside a
search page (we need it to happen from a script) ? What should this
http-parsed query look like?
(eg. ?keywords=(x+and+y) )

2. What is the maximum length of a boolean (or any htdig) query in
characters, or is there no limit?

3. Does ht://Dig _guarantee_ that the expression contained in the
greatest number of parentheses will be evaluated first?

We want to do a search based on three criteria, on which there is a
business-logic weighting. It doesn't seem to be possible to build a custom
weighting within a query, so I thought of the idea of recreating this by
nesting the different levels of the query within parentheses to force this
weighting in another way. Is this likely to work? The query string is likely
to be VERY long - is this a good idea? Will it make a significant
performance impact on the speed of returning results?

MTIA,

Phil.

NoHo Digital
Floor 2, Canberra House